Monday 14 April 2014

A Sensible Arrangement by Tracie Peterson

Book review

I was given this ARC by Bethany House publisher via NetGalley for an honest review.

A sensible Arrangement by Tracie Peterson is a story of forgiveness as well as how love can bud through loss.
This story portrays two protagonist named Marty (Martha) and Jake, both no longer believe in love due to many hurts from the past and through a 'convenient marriage arrangement' both are either running away from something or seeking to please someone.

Now, let's get to business. I give this book a whooping 2.5 stars out of 5.

I will not lie, I love Tracie's books but this one did not amaze me, to be honest i found that it lacked depth.
I say that because we first meet a still grieving widow who can't bear to remain in her home state, so of course she seeks to run away from the daunting memories. Then we meet Jake, who is also a widower who feels much the same, and after many betrayals and hurts, he's sworn off love.

This book had some really nice themes but again, it felt like everything was too easy. The problems they faced were so easily fixed, faith in God restored without a large amount of struggle despite the fact that the characters appeared to have monumental issues and anger towards God, yet 'BAM!' easy fix...no worries. The Romance...it was too quick! no love comes softly and flourishes into something sigh-worthy, Jake and Marty despite Jake's unwillingness to love and Marty's broken heart, they fall in love so quickly that it made it feel so unrealistic.

But let's be a bit more positive shall we? Tracie Peterson is so amazing in setting the scene, the description of Denver and it's opulent society was really well done! I must say, I praise the Lord that I don't live in those days, i don't think I could handle it! but also i'd probably be a servant...but I digress. I truly enjoyed the household servants! Brighton and Mrs. Landry were so cute, to be perfectly honest, the secondary characters had more depth and complexities to them than the main 2 characters! What up with that?
What I did like though, was the one realistic quality to Marty's character, Tracie Peterson did something a lot of writers don't usually do, and that's to make the character a *wait for it* LIAR...so that was nicely done! I really liked Alice! She's so sweet and strong in the faith, she also had spunk! But again, that means I like a secondary character more than the main.

Now the no-no thing for me...a pet-peeve of sorts- is to finish a book without completing the story. I swear that when i got to the last page, i felt like a chunk had been left out! It didn't say anything on who Mr. Smith was, nor anything about Marty and Jake with the Texas situation nor didn't it explain why Mr. Morgan was investing so much in Jake, I mean, he could be plain nice...but it doesn't feel like the Morgans would invest in someone without an expected return. I know authors like to leave cliff-hangers to make the readers excited about the next book, but this one annoyed me frankly...too much was missing!

You'll like this book if you want an easy and very light read...without lots of conflict and a quick romance.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but I promised honesty.
.
Congratulations Tracie Peterson on your 100th book!    

- E


No comments:

Post a Comment